Vegan MoFo food journal – October 30-31, 2012
This is a recap from the last two days because I was so excited about Halloween I didn’t get on the computer. I’m such a nerd for Halloween. But that is another post.
On Monday night, hubby-to-be requested Frito pie for dinner for Tuesday. Being the worldly person that I am, he had to explain that Frito pie is really just Fritos covered in chili. Ah, yes. I can do that! So I tracked down an awesome vegan chili recipe via Pinterest on VegetarianTimes.com. It is called Ultimate Vegan Chili and here is the link.
I had to alter the recipe slightly for what I had on hand so here is my version:
Vegan Frito Pie
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and minced
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 log, LightLife Gimme Lean veggie ground
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. celery salt
- 3 15-oz. cans chili beans, such as Bush’s Best Chili Beans, partially drained, or 1 can each black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans, partially drained (I used one can each, black, kidney, and pinto)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (2 to 3 large carrots)
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. vegan Worcestershire sauce (Fred Meyer brand is vegan. Watch for anchovies!)
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 to 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring often. Add garlic and chipotle chile, and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Add veggie ground, tomato paste, paprika, oregano, chili powder, celery salt, and 1 cup water; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add beans, carrots, tamari, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 1 hour, or until carrots are tender.
3. Pour a layer of Fritos in a bowl. Scoop on chili. Eat!
This was so easy it was ridiculous and it smelled AMAZING! And it made plenty for two people – enough for leftovers for the both of us the next night! HTB grated cheddar cheese on top of his but I thought it rocked without!
Alas, that concludes Vegan Month of Food for me. However I will still have to hold myself accountable for the other 11 months, so I will keep on chugging!