Over the summer we were given a flat of raspberries. That is a lot of raspberries! They have mostly been sitting quietly in the freezer waiting for some stroke of genius from me to put them to use.
Yesterday I went on a fridge-cleaning bender and rediscovered the bag of cranberries I bought a few weeks ago at the farm stand. This lead to the brainstorm that resulted in cran-raspberry preserves!
I found a great base recipe for slow cooker raspberry preserves at Crock Pot Ladies and altered it just a bit. Used the same measurements but used both cranberries and raspberries. Here is how I put it together:
- “Chop” berries in a blender until they are small bits
- Add ingredients to the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours with the lid ajar stirring every so often
- Once the berries have thickened to your liking, turn the crock-pot off
- Add preserves to jelly jars hot
- Add lids and rings
- Hot water bath for 20 minutes
- You can also freeze these in containers
And that is it! It smelled wonderful going in. The jars of apple butter I made earlier this fall are running low, so this will be ready to go once I’m all out. Enjoy!