This is my favorite part of Thanksgiving. Now, we eat sweet potatoes on a weekly basis. They are just delectable. But once in a great while I go for the candied version because it is just plain good.
Following suit with my goal to make everything vegan and from scratch, I sought out a quick and easy recipe for candied yams. No canned yams for us this year – victory!
Here is my rendition of the recipe I found from LaaLoosh:
Vegan Candied Yams
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 cup miniature vegan marshmallows (I used Dandies)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sweet potatoes in a casserole dish. Combine maple syrup, butter,brown sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Cover and bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until tender and starting to brown, about 40 minutes more.
- Sprinkle marshmallows over potatoes, and put back in oven. Cook until marshmallows melt and begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Or just put them under the broiler like I did and let the smoke tell you they are done. 😉
What worked best about this recipe was mixing the topping together first and drizzling over the potatoes. It all spread out evenly so not as much was needed. I have said it before and I will say it again, Dandies are the best. They are better than hoof-marshmallows any day. If you haven’t tried them yet, do yourself a favor! Noms.