Looking for a high protein, cruelty-free dinner? This meal was so hearty and fabulous. The way I made it, this dish had about 500-600 calories and tons of protein and calcium. The original recipe came from Elisa at Eating Whole. I adapted her recipe to suit what I had available.
Blackened tofu with rice and steamed kale
- 2 Cups cooked rice (I used jasmine)
- 1 bunch lacinto (dino) kale, washed & chopped
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon raw agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 16 oz of organic extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon red and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare rice per bag instructions. Set aside.
- Steam the kale for a few minutes, until just wilted and bright green. Take off heat and set aside.
- Drain your tofu and cut into any shape you’d like (I used a house shaped cookie cutter.
- In your skillet or frying pan, on medium-high heat, heat your olive oil, and spices until they start to brown and become aromatic. Add your tofu to the pan and fry on both sides for about 5 minutes (each side will be nicely blackened from the spices). Set aside.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Serve it up and drizzle with the dressing. Enjoy!